The Birth Control Pill For Men

mini-pills.jpg

There has been a significant breakthrough in the development of a birth control pill for men.

The drug is called JQ1, a one-time hopeful anti-cancer treatment that controls the gene that dictates the production of sperm in the testicles, according to a paper appearing in the journal Cell by researchers out of the Baylor College of Medicine. In fact, JQ1 demonstrated an ability, over time, to cut sperm count by 89% and the other 11% were found to be less than high quality swimmers.

Unfortunately all this has happened only in mice, but scientists seem reasonably confident that the same effect will occur in human males.

One major aspect of JQ1 is that its sperm-reducing effects are totally reversible. Once off of JQ1 for a short period of time, the mice regained their ability to produce sperm.

Unlike previous attempts to create male birth control, JQ1 does not involve the use of testosterone, thereby eliminating the prospect of raising the risk of developing prostate cancer.

As good as this all sounds, JQ1 is many years away from hitting the market.


 
disclaimer

The information provided on Contracept.org is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her health professional. This information is solely for informational purposes and does not constitute the practice of medicine. We encourage all visitors to see a licensed physician or nutritionist if they have any concerns regarding health issues related to diet, personal image and any other topics discussed on this site. Neither the owners or employees of Contracept.org nor the author(s) of site content take responsibility for any possible consequences from any treatment, procedure, exercise, dietary modification, action or application of medication which results from reading this site. Always speak with your primary health care provider before engaging in any form of self treatment. Please see our Legal Statement for further information.

randomness